If you haven’t realized it yet, yep, I’m “one of those bloggers” that is going to do a new set of healthy living goals for myself each month. I’m very much a goal oriented person, and I always have been. Goals give me something to work toward and keep me on track! If you’ve never made goals for yourself, I would try it out, at least once. You can make daily, weekly, monthly, yearly goals – whatever works best for you!
Here are a few tips I’ve learned to help make quality and effective goals for myself:
- It must be written down. If you don’t write it down, you are more likely to forget about it. Writing it down also helps to stay more accountable to your goal.
- It must be challenging. What’s a goal for if you don’t challenge yourself a little?
- It must be believable. Sorry my friends, no goals of trying to save the world by the end of month. I already tried.
- It must be specific. Don’t let your goals be too broad. Make sure you narrow it down so you don’t feel overwhelmed when trying to reach your goal.
- It must be measurable. I could say “I want to be a better wife to my husband”, but is that really measurable? No. A better goal would be, “I’m going to give my husband five nice compliments each day.”
- It must have a specific deadline. You could make a goal for yourself, but without a specific deadline, would you really be as motivated to work as hard toward reaching it? I know I sure wouldn’t.
Ok, I’ll get out of my teaching mode and crank out my December goals for you. I did a terrible job of “checking in” with how I was doing on my goals throughout November, so I’m going to take more of an initiative this month to do this. Alright, here we go!
Goal #1: I want to make at least one new soup and/or chili each week.
I am a HUGE fan of soups and chilis during the winter months, but I always resort back to the half a dozen soup/chili recipes I’ve made in the past. I see awesome looking soup and chili recipes all over the internet and in cookbooks, so I want to challenge myself to try some of them out!
Goal #2: I want to challenge myself to run outside (in the freezing cold) at least 3 times throughout the month of December.
Maybe this seems like a weird goal to some of you, but I have this “fear” of running in temperatures below 40 degrees. I grew up in Arizona, so living in this cold Utah weather is still something I’m getting accustomed to. I think I really just need to suck it up, wear the right cold weather running gear, and JUST DO IT. I’m hoping that after a few times, I’ll realize I enjoy it. The treadmill gets a little boring sometimes!
Goal #3: I am going to decide which Utah half marathon race I’m going to do in the summer of 2012.
Eeeek! This one scares me, but also excites me at the same time! I’m really nervous to run my first half marathon, but I can’t get it out of my head. I decided once again, I need to JUST DO IT. Depending on the race and sign up deadlines, I might sign up for it too. I’m hoping to officially sign up and pay for it in another month or two though because there’s more expenses this month for us than normal.
Goal #4: I am going to make homemade fudge for the first time.
I’ve always heard making traditional homemade fudge is more difficult because you have to get the temperature of the chocolate just right. It has always intimidated me, so I’ve never challenged myself to make it. I thought December would be the perfect month to try it out!
Goal #5: I am going to tell myself one thing I like about myself each day.
I can be really good about picking out my flaws, physically and otherwise, so I want to change this. I in no way want to be walking around with my nose in the air (arrogant people are one of my biggest pet peeves!), but I would like to work on my confidence in myself.
- What are some goals you’re currently working toward?
- Can you relate to any of the goals I’ve set for December?